If you are looking for natural remedies for enlarged prostate health, then let me tell you there are plenty out there to choose from.
Please read on to listen to my own experience using natural remedies and treatments over the past 15 years or so.
Some of these remedies may be considered to a little weird and some of them may be considered too difficult for some people to follow. Many of the remedies, treatments and exercises alleviated my symptoms whilst others did not seem to help in any way.
What Is A Natural Remedy?
I believe that a natural remedy for an enlarged prostate is something that cures or relieves at least one symptom of the disease or disorder. This could mean it’s a healing natural medicine, an application, an exercise, or a treatment of sorts.
The following protocols fall into the Natural Remedy, or natural treatment category and yes I’ve tried them all:
- Naturopathic – Natural supplements and herbs
- Homeopathic remedies
- Ayurvedic Natural Medicines
- Meditation and mindfulness
- Diets: vegan, vegetarian and even fasting diets.
- Colon cleansing
- Psychic healing
What’s A Prostate And Where’s My Prostate?
About 16 years ago I was applying for a government job and I needed a medical check up. I was 55 years old and I’d kept myself pretty fit, in other words I thought I just sail through the medical exam without a problem.
I had a blood test and was called back into the surgery to pick up the results. Ahhh!! there was a problem! I was told my PSA was 3.5 and I’d need to see a urologist to have my prostate checked out.
My prostate! What’s a prostate? Where’s my prostate?
I still find it difficult to believe that I was 55 and I didn’t have the faintest idea what a prostate was. My doctor did a Digital Rectal Examination and he told me that I had and enlarged prostate that could be cancerous. He told me not to worry though, because what he himself feared most was skin cancer! And I didn’t have that!
Of course I worried like hell, anyway I got to see the urologist about a week later and in the meantime I’d Googled ‘What’s a Prostate’ and ‘Where’s my Prostate’ and now I had all the info regarding prostates and the problems that they can bring.
If you are reading this then I guess you’ve done the same. If so then you’ve discovered that the prostate is a walnut sized gland located somewhere between the bladder and the penis and it’s just in front of the rectum.
I then Googled natural remedies for an enlarged prostate and came to the conclusion that if I didn’t have the big C, then I’d proceed on a natural remedy for prostate enlargement protocol.
My First Visit To A Urologist
Visiting a urologist for the first time is really scary. I was also aware that the urologist has the power to do terrible things in the privacy of his rooms. I was also keen to keep the visit to the urologist to myself and not discuss it with my work mates. Besides what do they know about prostates? I found out later that most of my colleagues knew a lot more about prostate problems than myself!
Anyway, back to the urologist. He did the DRE which indicated that I had an enlarged prostate which was about 40ml (so it wasn’t as large as first thought by my GP) and it felt soft without any lumps, which was all good news.
To Biopsy Or Not!
My Urologist was keen to do a biopsy, but I declined as I thought he’d be stabbing in the dark because he couldn’t locate a lump. He appreciated my view and we both agreed on a watch and wait protocol. Fast forward to 2020 and we are still watching and waiting. However my PSA has steadily risen to 20. Which ordinarily would be very alarming. However technology has improved and I’ve been able to to confirm that there is no cancer present with 3 MRI scans. My prostate volume has increased 4 fold to 160ml which is a very large prostate. If it was a burger it would be a whopper!
My first visit to a Urologist has now turned out to be first of many, perhaps 30 visits or more over the last 15 years. During this time we have become friends and we both fully understand the way the way that we like to work together.
Do Natural Remedies Work?
Some would argue that there is no evidence that any of the natural remedies that I have taken has actually worked for my prostate. They would say that it hasn’t shrunk in size. Which is true, but I argue that my situation could be a lot worse if I hadn’t taken any natural remedies and just gone along with what the doctors advised.
Doctors are terrific when you really need one. But often their treatments are irreversible and many of their drug therapies have terrible side effects. For example, The drug therapies (such as UROREC) for urinary problems related to Prostate enlargement can have very nasty side effects. Simply using a daily Magnesium supplement will achieve the same results.
I believe that I’m a lot healthier and fitter than the average 71 year old due to the natural remedies that I’ve embraced in my life. Sure it’s cost me some money for the regular practitioner visits to a Naturopath or Homeopath. But I believe it’s all been money well spent!.
Natural Remedies Taken For My Enlarged Prostate
- Naturopathic – Natural supplements and herbs have been very beneficial in improving urination flow rates. I have seen improvements within a couple of weeks of taking Saw Palmetto and other prostate related herbs.
- Homeopathic remedies – I have seen immediate relief with these tiny remedies.
- Kinesiology – This identified substances that were offensive to my health and I’m thankful that I now know that I should’t be drinking so much red wine these days.
- Yoga – I recently discovered the benefits of Yoga on a recent trip to India. I’m amazed at just how well I feel after even one lesson of yoga. I’m now completely committed on doing an alternate day of one hours practice of this ancient health giving exercise. In particular there are some beneficial poses that specifically target the prostate gland.
- Ayurvedic Natural Medicines – This is a work in progress therapy that I have also discovered on a recent trip to India. I’ve been taking the pills given to me by an Ayurvedic doctor on a very busy street in Rishikesh. He gave me a 20 minute consultation which included taking my pulse in a number of locations. He told me that I had a Prostate problem, dusty lungs and dry skin. I declined the dusty lungs and dry skin medicines because they were unmarked mixtures which would have been difficult taking through customs. I bought a 4 month supply of Proscarehills tablets. He instructed me to take the tablets on a daily basis for up to 4 months. I’ve been taking them for a couple of months now so I’ll be updating my findings at the end of February 2020.
- Hypnosis – I’m not going to say a lot about the benefits of hypnosis for prostate health. But I do like to think that in some small way it has helped me. It certainly felt that I was building confidence in the healing process.
- Meditation and mindfulness – This is a recent addition to my prostate health arsenal which sort of goes hand in hand with the yoga asanas (postures).
- Diet: vegan, vegetarian and even fasting diets have all helped to improve my general health.
- Colon cleansing – The less said here , the better.
- Saunas – For cleansing out the toxins and it also makes you feel terrific afterwards.
- Psychic healing – Helps to have a little spiritual help, but this therapy is not for everyone, because it all seems a little far fetched and hard to believe. I do know people that claim to have amazing recoveries with psychic healing. But I’m not one of them.
Remedies That Have Worked Best For Me
I now believe that the best natural treatment for an enlarged Prostate is not one single remedy, but a combination of remedies.
From my own experience of using all of the all of the above natural remedies I feel confident in saying that the best remedies that have worked for me are a combination of the following:
Naturopathic Remedies – A visit to a Naturopath should be high on your to do list. My Naturopath was very keen to bring my health into a state of balance before she addressed my prostate issues. A Naturopath will look at all your health issues and possibly prescribe natural medications to treat all of your health issues. You’ll also be prescribed Saw Palmetto and other prostate related herbs. In addition you’ll be given advice on how to exercise and change your diet.
If you can’t find a local Naturopath then simply buy a prostate supplement such as Prostagenix. There’s a lot of online advertising and I believe they offer a 30 money back guarantee. This is the one supplement that I will try and review after I have finished my Ayurvedic medicines.
Homeopathic Remedies – Homeopathy is an amazing therapy that will work for some people, but not for others. It’s definitely a suck it and see therapy. For me it worked very well and relieved my symptoms immediately.
Dietary Changes – Absolutely, diet plays a large part in the state of our health. I’ve changed to a plant based vegetarian diet about 6 months ago. I feel lighter, I have more energy and I feel fantastic!
Yoga exercises for prostate health – I’ve always been fairly fit, but as mentioned before I’ve now discovered Yoga and I’m hooked. My posture is vastly better. I walk upright, my shoulders are not rounded anymore and my belly is naturally held in. I feel like a much younger man. I’m much more flexible and I can easily get down to play with my grandchildren.
The gentle practice of Yoga will gently unfold the limitations of your body and your mind.
But be careful not to overdo the physical part of the practice. Concentrate on your breathing and keep the enjoyment factor high.
Enjoy your Yoga and remember that you don’t need to compete with yourself or anyone else.
Some Yoga poses are also helpful and beneficial to the prostate, they improve the blood supply to the groin and massage the internal organs. I really believe that I’m onto a winner with Yoga!
Yoga Poses For Prostate Health
The following Yoga poses, or asanas, are excellent exercises for strengthening the pelvic floor and may help improve symptoms of an enlarged prostate. They can also help to reduce stress and blood pressure.
Medical News Today advises that six Yoga poses may help with easing the symptoms of prostate enlargement. Please Click Here to view these six Yoga poses.
- Cobbler Pose (Baddha Konasana)
- Hero Pose (Virasana)
- Reclining Big Toe Pose (Supta Padangusthasana)
- Head-to-Knee Pose (Janusirsasana)
- Bow Pose (Dhanurasana)
- Shoulder Stand (Biparitkarani Mudra)
Here’s a short video showing another couple of yoga exercises that work the muscles of the pelvic floor to increase blood flow to the prostate.
Build Your Prostate Health Team
Build your own Prostate health team. I teamed up with my local GP, urologist and various natural therapists to give myself a team to discus all the issues involved. This enabled me to make some very important decisions as my problem progressed.
- Your GP and Urologist form the top tier of your prostate team. Use them to your best advantage and foster a good working relationship. Always consult with your GP and Urologist and make sure that you always get copies of all your blood tests and keep them in a folder as a record of your progress.
- Your Natural Therapy Prostate Team falls into the tier below your medical team. They offer alternative options to the medical team above them. They also need to be updated with information such as blood tests and MRI’s.
Take Control, You Are The Boss
- Always keep in mind that ultimately you are responsible for you own health and well being. You are the boss, you are at the helm. You will be making your own health decisions and your two tiered prostate health team is there working for you, doing the best that they can.
- Be sure to check out all available prostate symptom treatment possibilities and stay up to date with new emerging technologies.
- Be especially proactive in seeking out alternative treatments, whether it’s medical treatments or natural treatments. Just remember that sometimes you must be prepared to pay for some of these services.
Take care online!
If you are searching online for ‘natural remedies enlarged prostate‘, or ‘natural remedies swollen prostate‘ you’ll certainly find a lot of online misinformation and scams. So take care! Only buy products that have more than 80% positive reviews.
Yoga Classes For Prostate Health
I’m a beginner and I’ve found that large Yoga classes just don’t work for me. Sure it’s great to be a part of a large group and make new friends. But a large group tends to be at different levels of experience, which means that the teacher is struggling to satisfy everyone’s needs.
I’ve found that the best Yoga classes are smaller classes with no more than 4 students. This allows the teacher to demonstrate the poses and then they are also able to correct the pose of the individual student. Generally these small classes are expensive. But I tend to only go to these classes when I feel I need to, maybe once a month.
Yoga Classes On YouTube
There’s a lot of free video tutorials on YouTube and some of them are excellent.
The best video series for easy to follow programs for beginners that I have found are the basic yoga for Dummies series comprising 6 videos.
This is a completely free program of 6 videos covering the basics. These Yoga for Dummies are exceptionally good with respect to their clarity and pose alignment explanations.
Be sure to watch all 6 videos in this series.
If you find that these videos don’t suit your needs then simply search YouTube for the Yoga videos that you do need – Seated Yoga, Yoga for seniors, Yoga Exercises For Prostate Health etc. Otherwise check out another post of mine: Yoga for beginners over 60.
A Final Word
We are all different and it follows that we may all heal in different ways.
I hope you find your own Natural Remedies For An Enlarged Prostate – And if you do find something that works for you, then please share your experience and post a comment below.