Why write a Mission Statement?
Well first off, I believe it’s one of the most powerful things you can do to give your life direction and purpose. It will only take a couple of hours to produce the statement, but you will reap the rewards for years to come.
A personal mission statement can be completed by you as an individual or or it can be completed as a couple. If you are one of a couple then you’ll find that doing the statement together will give you amazing results that will align you both and be of immense help to you both. One of the spin-offs of doing a mission statement is that you will find yourself spending less time making those difficult decisions that sap your energy. No longer will you dither and exhaust yourself, you’ll just take a look at your statement and make the decision.
The statement is intended to be a guide to living that can be referred to when difficult decisions need to be made. It will help align the intentions and decisions of the couple and also be a guiding path for the individual.
Create Your Mission Statement In 4 Easy Steps
Creating a mission statement is really very simple, but allow yourself an hour or two to come up with ideas and life goals.
- Write down on a big sheet of paper a list of your beliefs and intentions – Allow at least 30 minutes for ideas to come to you.
- Arrange them in order of priority.
- Now sign at the bottom of the list to formalize the document and to give it a degree of authority – Formalizing the document will require a lot of interesting negotiations for a couple, but will be of terrific value for future decisions.
- The statement should then be displayed in a private place, where only you will see it.
The statement is intended as dynamic guide and can be expanded upon and changed at any time to suit circumstances.
Below is a simple example of a personal mission statement for an individual. Keep in mind that your own mission statement can be as long or short as you need it to be, within reason.
- My safety and my family’s safety will always come first.
- I will live each and every day to the fullest.
- I shall take responsibility for all my actions.
- I will treat others with the same respect that I would give myself.
- I shall build solid relationships with the guys at work.
- I will constantly work towards my goals in life (list them).
- I will never blame others.
- I will see the positive side to everything.
- I will contact family members at least once a week.
Make sure to read your statement every morning and evening for at least a week until you can memorize every word.
If you still need help writing a mission statement, then take a good look around this site and you’ll discover many methods to get you motivated to start your mission stement.